Friday, May 31, 2024

When you have more time to prep

As my current game has been on break for several weeks, I've found myself with the luxury of prepping beyond the next immediate session. I wanted to share what I’ve been working on as inspiration for others who also have some time to prep. I'll expand on some of these points in future articles; I'm trying a lot of new things and I'm eager to see what works and share the results.

1. Develop the larger story

Since my game is mostly homebrew, I don't have a pre-written plot arc I can rely on. I would have to come up with my own, which can be tough if I only have enough time to plan the next session. It's hard to know where the entire game will end up, but outlining a mini-arc (4-5 sessions of content) is a good balance between being prepared and forcing the plot in a certain direction to conform to our preconceived notions.

Armed with this information, we can seed our sessions with hints and clues about what's to come. We can develop transitions between sessions to make them feel seamlessly connected. I even wrote some enigmatic fortunes for the party to receive, providing hints and advice on obstacles they may face. Most importantly, however, we can...

2. Integrate the characters into the story


Now that we have an idea of the overarching plot, we can work to integrate the party into that plot. What hooks can we use to draw the characters in? How will advancing the plot enable the players to explore and develop their characters? What rewards might they be motivated by?

One way I addressed these questions is by creating individual and party goals. By making the character goals compatible with plot-related goals, we can ensure that our players are excited to engage with the content.

3. Develop the local area


Like all published materials, city and campaign sourcebooks are not 100% perfect for our needs. But they often have great ideas we can steal for our games. Taking some time to read other sources and become inspired is a great way to breathe life into our world.

4. Write cutscenes for the players


I plan to begin the next session with the party talking to a quest NPC to learn about the next mini-arc of the campaign. To help set up that interaction, I wrote a short cutscene involving that NPC and sent it to my group. Even if I was only writing it for myself, I believe it to have been a useful exercise. 

Writing a cutscene allowed me to develop that character (and even think up a new one!), all the while integrating lore and developments within the world. With such a long gap between sessions, I hope this will help keep my players engaged and eager to dive in next session.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have other things you like to do with your extra prep time!

No comments:

Post a Comment